Monday, July 8, 2013

San Francisco Department of Public Works Antics

July 7, 2013-Sunday-7:58 a.m.-I was on my morning stroll toward Chinatown along Columbus Avenue about to cross Green Street to make the right turn onto Stockton Street by the Bank of America building; I heard the sound of a powered pressure washer with street debris flying out onto the street. I made my turn onto Stockton Street and noticed a City's worker cleaning the MUNI bus shelter with his pressure washer hose. He was on my left side spraying the shelter with a light mist but full blast on the air spray. I could see flying debris and feel the water mist hitting my pant legs as I walked passed him. He made no motion to stop or aim the spray away from me, but I understood the "standard of procedures for City's workers." The thing that really got my attention was two elderly ladies was approaching the bus stop on the opposite direction on Stockton Street, and they was about to cross the alley "Card." He should had noticed them, since they were coming straight at him, but he kept the air spray on pushing the debris and dust up toward them. Both the ladies had their hands up to cover the nose and mouth. The "standard of procedures for City's workers" are to know what areas of the City you are working at---Chinatown...don't give a damn! The two ladies were Oriental and me a old Oriental man---we do not complaint (Old Confucius Myth: worrying about Immigration Officers). The City's worker would behave like a gentleman if he was at the Marina or Pacific Heights neighborhood.

Some might say I am bias toward City's workers in Chinatown, but over two months ago another Public Works worker with the same small pressure washer truck was pressure washing the sidewalk in front of the CHASE bank branch at 1318 Stockton Street at 8:30 a.m. on a weekday. This worker was using the full blast of steam and water on the sidewalk with no orange cones or working partial of the sidewalk at a time. What caught my attention was him yelling at Oriental passers-by..."Hey I am working here!" This worker was in his white City's issued overall, acting if he being timed on the job. Oops! I forgot the bank open it's door in 30 minutes for business.

Today City's worker was not in his white overall and seems to be in a rush. Why? Before I reach the next intersection at Vallejo Street, he was in his truck and passed me by. I came upon him double-parked at the next bus stop along Stockton Street between Broadway & Pacific. I noticed him out of his truck and this area is very congested with riders awaiting the buses plus right in front of a very busy produce store. It turned out he was only there to wait on a fellow City's garbage truck for break time! Another "standard of procedures for City's workers" never take a break alone!

One of my worst pet peeve is how lazy are many of the store owners in my stroll through the areas of Chinatown and North Beach. The blocks along Stockton Street and Grant Avenue have 7 days street cleaning, while the blocks along Columbus Avenue have street cleaning every other days. The street cleanings are done before 6:00 a.m. and including holidays. In the City's store owners are responsible for the front sidewalk of their business. They can be cited for not removal of graffiti in a timely manner or too much accumulation of chewing gums on sidewalk. The strange habit of many store owners is that any trash or debris along the front are not picked up with a dustpan, but just sweep out into the street! I even caught one young coffee shop owner sweep the front  debris to his neighbor's area.

I returned back to bus stop where the City's worker was cleaning about the most 10 minutes ago:
This is the bus stop-

This is Card Alley, where the two ladies were approaching the City's worker-
Noticed all the trash were just moved from one spot to another---onto the street!

The corner when I first approached-
The trash are out on the street!

Street views of the area-

All the City's worker did was move the trash from one point to another. The worker might not be equipped or qualified to use a broom and dustpan. Finally another "standard of procedures for City's workers" delegate the work assignments. Leave unfinished work for another City's worker to transport a van full of "community service" workers to sweep the area.

Confucius said...He who work swiftly and diligently, would gain additional work. He who work slowly and carefree, would gain assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment