Thursday, July 4, 2013

Post Office Flag Etiquette---Part II

July 4, 2013-It been almost a year ago on my July 28, 2012 post, which I ranted about how my two local postal installations were not honoring orders of half-staff flag or lowering the flag at the end of the day. Well today I came up with a remarkable occurrence for "Independence Day!"

First I must correct something I mentioned in the first posting concerning the North Beach Post Office at 1640 Stockton Street. My retired postal buddy informed me, prior to 1997 the postal service were the only occupant of the building, therefore the clerks were raising and lowering the United States flag. After the erection of the new two-story building, owned by the next door 'San Francisco Italian Athletic Club' which rented the first floor back to the Postal Service. The two exterior flag poles were maintained by the Italian Athletic Club, thereby a Italy national flag is flown on the right pole:

Private buildings are not required to honor Presidential half-staff flag orders.

The North Beach Carrier Annex at 2200 Powell Street is a postal service owned building and after checking my vast photos archive:
December 20, 2012-
The North Beach Carrier Annex had the flag at half-staff! Why? President Obama ordered "all government installations - including postal facilities" flag be flown at half-staff in honor of U.S. Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii passed away on December 17th 2012. My retired postal buddy informed me that the station just had a new Station Manager. Maybe finally someone able to comprehend postal memo or able to read the flag pole manual.

I came upon another archive photo:
April 19, 2013-
The Chinatown Station Post Office at 867 Stockton Street had the flag at half-staff! Why? President Obama ordered all government and postal facilities flag be flown at half-staff to honor the fallen victims of the April 15th 2013 Boston Marathon Explosion. I forgot to check the North Beach Carrier Annex to see if their flag is flown at half-staff.

Now to today's remarkable occurrence, but first a small prelude:
June 30, 2013-


Sunday-North Beach Carrier Annex flag was flown half-staff! Why? I could not "Google" any latest Presidential ordered half-staff, therefore I called my retired postal buddy for assistance. He called me back the following Monday after calling some postal employees and the only postal required scheduled flag flown at half-staff was for May 27, 2013-Memorial Day. We chuckle since that was 34 days ago!

Today July 4, 2013-
The post office is closed and everybody is celebrating...


Unfortunately the United States flag is flown in this glories day at half-staff! My retired postal buddy wanted me to check the half-staff above photo for December 20, 2012; the July 4, 2013 flag is really at three-fourth staff; he concluded it can be a rope pulley mechanism problem.

My conclusion is all those years this post office station never honored half-staff orders and when a new manager arrived and started honoring half-staff orders...it became a bewilderment to raise back the flag to full-staff! Or the Wizard would surmised: The flag at the post office is half-staff, therefore they are hiring!


No comments:

Post a Comment