Sunday, June 20, 2010

Shuck Corn Update


June 20, 2010-The other day my neighbor and I was glancing at the latest “Safeway” ads for the week of June 16-22; she noticed the ‘RED HOT WEEKEND!’ specials for Saturday & Sunday on “Sweet Corn 4 for $1” and her grandkids are coming over Sunday for Father’s Day and they loved roasted corns. I informed her that the nearby “Safeway” store add a surcharge of $1.19 if she shucked the corns. She asked me when they started that policy and I told her since the last few big corn sales. She usually shucks the corns to check if they are not rotten inside. I told her to blame it on discriminating and lazy produce workers.

I got early Saturday morning and visited the 350 Bay Street store to see if indeed the “surcharged” signs were posted on the corn. The time was 6:30 AM and no sign was posted on the front main corn bin, maybe it was too early for the lazy produce workers. At the normal produce corn section, the old handmade “Please do not shuck the corn” is still attached to the mirror from last month, this sign made no mention about the surcharge if someone shucked the corn.

I visited the store on Sunday morning at 6:15 AM and the “surcharged of $1.19” was only posted in the front main corn bin. They added a new sign with a stern warning: “You will be charged $1.19 for any shucked Corn”
My neighbor claimed that she would speak to the store manager of the policy and I told her good luck. I asked a produce worker and his reply was he had no clue who placed the sign…must be the work of the Anti-Corn Shuck Fairy! My neighbor might be more persuasive since she just got a brand new copper-colored Titanium walking stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment