Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Chronicle Laid A Turkey

November 28, 2013-Thursday-Thanksgiving Day-I was about to leave the house for my early morning stroll through Fishermen's Wharf that I noticed a plastic wrapped "San Francisco Examiner" newspaper in front of the house. The "Examiner" is the City free newspaper published Sunday through Friday, excluding certain holidays except today. They use to home delivery, but many residents complained about the wastefulness; therefore they only home delivery on Sunday and place in corner newspaper rack the rest of the week.

I can still recall in the 1950's the City had three main newspapers, "San Francisco Chronicle" published mainly in the morning and the two evening papers: "San Francisco Examiner" and "San Francisco Call-Bulletin," which eventually merged into one evening paper the "San Francisco Examiner." I can still recall the cost was only a dime for the daily and my father always brought the three stars edition of the "Examiner" on his way home from work, because it had the closing stock market quotations.

Today the City really have one basic newspaper…"San Francisco Chronicle." The price for the newspaper have gone up and the contents have shrunk.  The paper list the daily at $1.00, but I have seen some newspaper rack list it at 75 cents. The Sunday's papers now cost $3.00. The electronic age have hurt the printed newspaper industries, since people can watch the evening news on TV and get up-the-minute news report in their computers or cell phones. I normally buy the Sunday's, since it is usually packed with store ads and my favorite "Food" section.

On my way back home from the stroll, I stopped by my regular newspaper vendor in front of the "Safeway" on Bay Street. I wanted to see what's this year "Black Friday" deals. He informed me that today newspaper would be treated like a Sunday's edition at the cost of $3.00.

The left is the "San Francisco Chronicle" at $3.00; the right is the "San Francisco Examiner" home delivered and free.

The "Chronicle" did not have any of the regular Sunday's extra features, therefore a regular Thursday daily filled with store ads. The "Examiner" had most of the same major stores ads, the only exception were "Chronicle" had more cell phone companies ads, "Walgreens" and "Walmart" store ads.

"Black Friday" have become the standard for most major business to jump start the holiday shopping binge. This year was the start of a new trend called "Gray Thursday," forget Thanksgiving and hit the stores. "Walmart" and "Best Buy" had stores opening at 6 p.m. Thursday, while the others major stores are opening at 8 p.m. Thursday. Next year the opening should be 3 p.m. Thursday after a turkey lunch.

The "Chronicle" wanted to get into the consumers spending mode by raising the price of today newspaper, which is 75% filled with store ads. As I can recall, the store ads insert are paid by the stores; therefore the old "supply and demand"…consumers demand to know the sale ads. My neighbor said screw "Chronicle" and Google "Black Friday Ads" next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment